Monday, May 26, 2008

I Like Tools


That's right. I like tools. Not the people kind, the machine kind. That probably sounds somewhat dyke-ish of me, but lately I have been learning how to use some of the fancy gadgets we keep in the garage and it's actually pretty cool. I was able to complete some cool art work for my guest room thanks to my new found skills with a circular chop saw. It made me feel manly in a powerful woman kind of way. I like to picture myself as the girl from Tool Time from Home Improvement...although, let's get real....

I'm starting to realize all the things I could do if only I had the right tools. Tyson has been collecting some things ever since we became homeowners, but he really doesn't use them all that much. If you don't believe me, check out the outdoor kitchen project that has been frozen in time for over a year now. I'd love to take a class on how to use them all. Maybe I can just pick up a copy of "Random Things in Your Garage for Dummies." I find myself getting excited over gift certificates to Home Depot and the like. Tyson's friend let us borrow his cool super-duper power hand drill and I was green with envy. (Clearly I need to also find a class on what these things are called as well).

I love my laser level. I really want a nail gun. This doesn't stop at power tools, either. I'd also really like a label maker and a sewing machine. I just want to learn how to do it all! Maybe as I develop my skills, I will work up the confidence to finish that unsightly pile of cinderblock in the backyard that is meant to cook a meal. The race is on babe.

2 comments:

Linzie said...

Love the new blog! So I to am a tool lover. Jared being the baby of a Dr. is not as handy as I would like, so it's up to me. So, Home Depot offers the coolest classes all the time on random things, like painting, redoing your floor, making a bbq pit! You should call over there and see what they are offering. I know a lot of them are even free! I'm sure Lowes does the same thing. One day I will hopfully join you on this quest to learn it all, but for now it's the forbidden diapers and "nursing"!

The Reeds said...

I don't think you are crazy at all. There is something empowering about using the so called "mans tools." Besides its fun to try something new. I have to agrees with Linzie.I would like to do the same, but right now I have two little ones that have my attention. You just go for it all!