Saturday, August 22, 2009

4 things that bug

I'm no home inspector or anything, but growing up I always wanted to be an architect. I took a few classes in college to start in that major, but gave up that dream for another. However, I did learn a few basics in those classes that have stuck with me and these little things DRIVE ME NUTS.

First: Toilets should be 15 inches from the wall on each side measured from the center of the bowl. Also, from the center of the bowl to the object (typically a door) in front of you should be 21 inches. It is quite apparent when this has not been executed properly.

See photos for 2 good examples:


I can specifically think of a toilet I have used multiple times at Disney University that does not meet this standard. I hate getting stuck with that stall.

Second: Outlets should be placed no more than 12 feet apart. This means you should always be within 6 feet of an outlet. Oh, the fuming frustration when this is not the case! I hate having to track down an outlet or a power strip or extension cord! In todays world of electronic toys that need recharging, this is a must!

Third: Poorly thought out build-ins. Ok, there is no guideline or code restriction on build-ins, but let's think this through logically...

Cabinets are generally good. They help keep things organized, they look kind of fancy, they keep things from piling up, and they create a nice draw in a room. Plus, you can always repaint, refinish, or tear those suckers out if you grow out of them.

BUT, the wall built ins? Always bad with the exception of an occasional arched niche or something. But a full wall of entertainment? Can you honestly say the size of your tv is never going to change? You never want to rearrange a room? Your artwork will fit those spaces exactly for the next 30 years and you'll never get sick of them? Come on people. Let's just avoid this altogether. Too much drama.


Fourth: This is more of a guideline than a code, but a good rule of thumb that I will follow with exactness when I build my own home someday. 10% of your home's square footage should be storage space. You do the math.
This includes closets, pantrys, etc. So explain to me how I currently reside in a very large home with ZERO linen closets. That's right- big fat 0. My blood is seriously boiling.


2 comments:

Proudfit Family said...

Where is all your stuff?!?!? You live for storage!!!

Catherine said...

Can you design a house for me someday too? Thanks!