Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Thoughts Lately....


So I just finished reading this book.  I loved it.  It was a little edgy, but sensitive and I mostly liked it because it was just so real.  You have this feeling that the author could be your next door neighbor, or your sister, or your best friend.  Her writing is so unique and after reading a paragraph or two you would know what I mean.  Plus she is easy to relate to.  I recommend it, but mostly mention it because ever since I finished it (or I guess started it), I have found my thoughts organizing themselves the way the author's are in this book.  Almost as if it's her voice narrating my life in my head.  I kind of like it.  It's helped me view my own world from a slightly different angle.

So, as far as other things on my mind this week, here they are:

Tyson and I joined the gym.  I have been mostly excited about attending classes and have broken into the realm of yoga and types like it.  I am coming to a better understanding of how out of shape I am and my desire is growing to overcome that.  At the same time, it's been frustrating (that's me missing my youth), but it's also been a good motivator and social outlet for me.  I run into someone I know every time I go.  Our ward seems to be on this big health kick right now.

I had another infusion yesterday and met with my doctor.  The good news is that I am steadily improving at this point and was approved to start cutting back on my chemo treatments.  I was thinking to myself, as I chatted with my nurse Jennifer, how politically correct she always is.  She's such an intriguing person to me and yet she has this aura of emptiness.  You can almost see it if you look deep in her eyes.  Weird, I know.  Yet she is so genuine and I feel so grateful that my wellness has been entrusted to her.  She was definitely born to be a nurse and has such a good heart and desire to help people.

Lately, I have been thinking of something that bothers me.  I'm hesitant to share because I know that it probably applies to many people.  Out with it - I hate it when wives make this big to do about going to dinner at a nice restaurant (which is usually no better than mediocre) for their big date of the week/month.  For example.... "then my husband took me to PF Changs for dinner and I wore my nicest jeans.  He is so awesome!'  Some people may think I'm stuck up, expect too much, or am just high maintenance.  The truth is, your husband didn't really have to put any thought into it.  It's not a matter of what you spend but how much it means.  This seems to increase with the first child and escalates from there.  It's a category that I hope I never fall into.  I just don't want dinner and a movie to be my "big night out."  Snobby?  Perhaps.  I guess that's just a part of who I am.

Until next time.....

1 comment:

Proudfit Family said...

I have often felt the same way about date night. For example I don't like to go to movies on date night because we don't talk to each other and thus it seems like we're not really spending time with each other. On the other hand dinner out is always one of my favorites especially when we go some place I love - like neopolitan. You're right though its not about how much you spend. I have never appreciated how much eating without children present was a treat until I had kids. Sometimes just being on a date sitting in a restuarant being able to focus on each other is all you need whether you're at Subway or Carvers. My favorite date is going to paint pottery - half because i love to paint the pottery and hal because I know how much Tay hates it and it means alot when he plans to do something he hates but knows that I'll love. I enjoy these thought provoking posts.